Monday, May 21, 2007

CHARTER BOAT CAPTAIN SENTENCED TO 6 YEARS IN PRISON

CHARTER BOAT CAPTAIN SENTENCED TO 6 YEARS IN PRISON



PORTLAND, OREGON – An Oregon charter fishing boat captain was sentenced to 6 years imprisonment today in federal court in Portland. Richard J. Oba, of Winchester Bay, was the owner and captain of the Sydney Mae II, a 38 foot boat Oba used to conduct fishing charters. On September 19, 2005, Oba steered the boat into dangerous waters after being warned to stay away by the U. S. Coast Guard. The boat was struck by large wave and sunk off the Umpqua River Bar, killing three passengers. Oba had pled guilty to three counts of Seaman’s Manslaughter, in violation of 18 U.S.C. 1115.


I don't know about you, but this scares me a little. Not that this captain was in the right (he probably wasn't), but I really don't like the idea that the USCG can play Monday Morning Quarterback, and put a guy in jail on a "I told ya so!" clause. IF that one wave hadn't come along, this would not be a headline.



Here is what I wonder: is the reverse true? If the USCG says its ok to go, and something goes wrong, can I sue?